Out Of School Program
Every first and third Saturday during the school year
West Preparatory Institute at Charles I. West Hall – Clark County School District
- To provide hands on training to approximately 150 youth, (grades 4-8) in the Las Vegas Community in the areas of Nutrition, Education, Health & Wellness & Leadership.
- To encourage the students to assume responsibility for life-long learning and personal health and well-being.
- To understand how personal nutrition, fitness and education are integrated and why it is important to maintain balance in all three areas.
- To assist students with academic instructions in Math and Language arts grades 4th – 8th grade in support of closing the academic gap of students in need
9:00 a.m. -10:00 a.m. – Nutrition:
- Students work with a licensed dietitian/nutritionist and learn about food choices, healthy lifestyle choices and what the body needs for certain activities, both physical and mental.
10:00 a. m. -11:00 a. m. – Education:
- Students receive tutoring and integration of educational activities as they relate to the core subjects of Math and Language Arts on and evidence base software program
- Additional instruction is designed to extend the nutrition and fitness lessons within the areas of health, anatomy and physiology.
11:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. – Fitness:
- Students participate in warm ups, skill drills, obstacle courses, strength training and basketball fundamentals.
- Students set goals as they pertain to personal and team development.